|Michael Cardinal Logue|
Michael Cardinal Logue
Bishop of Raphoe: 1879-1888
Bishop Michael Logue was born in his mother's paternal home, Duringings, in Kilmacrennan on 1 October, 1840. His father, also Michael, was a a blacksmith from Carrigart. At Kilmacrennan too he had his first schooling, from Mr Craig, a Protestant. From there he went to Campbell’s classical school at Buncranna, and then to Maynooth (1857-66). Brightest of his class, he was nicknamed the ‘Northern Star’. In 1865 he was already lecturing in Maynooth, while he followed postgraduate studies. Although not yet ordained a priest he was appointed in 1866 by the Irish Hierarchy to th chairs of Theology and Belles Lettres in the Irish College, Paris. He was ordained a priest in Paris in December 1866 and remained on the staff of the Irish College until 1874.
He came to Glenswilly as Administrator in 1874. In 1876 he was appointed to the staff of Maynooth Colelge until 1879 where he held the chairs of Dogmatic Theology and Irish and the post of Dean. He was appointed Bishop of Raphoe on the 13 May 1879 and his appointment had practically the unanimous support of the clergy. He was consecrated Bishop by Archbishop McGettign in the Pro-Cathedral, Letterkenny, on the 20 July 1879.
On 2nd April 1878 Lord Leitrim was assissinated, the elder Logue driving behind him. From all that we know of his character, it seems inconceivable that he would have accepted the bishopric had his father been involved in any way in the murder of Lord Leitrim and Buchanan. He was by nature cautious and took a neutral stance towards the Land League, now in its first stage (1879-82).
In the aweful famine year of 1879, he worked strenuously and successfully to relieve distress, seeking and obtaining food and money from the Catholics of the world. He took advantage of the Intermediate Act of 1878 to enlarge the High School, Letterkenny. Following on the lines laid down by his predecessor, he encouraged agriculture and thrift and set up a Temperance Society in every parish.
He was translated to Armagh as coadjutor Archbishop with the right to succession on the 19th April 1887, and the best years of his episcopal career were spent as primate. He succeeded to the Primacy on the 3 December 1887 and was named Cardinal on the 19 January 1893. The completion of St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, and its dedication on 24 July 1904, was perhaps the crowning event of his primacy. He was an advocate of Home Rule and was opposed to the partition of Ireland; however he did favour the Treaty of 1921. He died on the 19 November 1924 in Ara Coeli, Armagh, and was buried in St Patrick's Cemetery, Armagh. His episcopal motto was 'In Patientia Salus' - (Patience is a Virtue).
Information from 'The Raphoe Diocese, a brief History' by Fr John J. Silke, 2000